Friday, February 25, 2011

History of Norwich

As I have shared with you previously we will be staying with my girlfriend Dawn and her family in Norwich for the first 10 days of our vacation before we head on to Ireland. I have given you some history on one of the Pubs that she will be taking us too. Well I think I got a little ahead of myself. I should have given you some history on Norwich first! Silly me! So today I am going to do just that!  And if I get anything incorrect I am sure that Dawn will pipe in and correct me LOL!

Darryl and Dawn ( I just love them!)

Norwich is the Capital of Norfolk, and was once the second only to London in importance, growing out of several small Saxon settlements at the lowest point along the Wensum River. Before the Norman Conquest of 1066, Norwich was one of the largest towns in England. The Conquerors built a Castle and a Cathedral(Anglican) and established a new Market Place which is still in use today and was refurbished in 2005.

Over the centuries Norwich has been the scene of many riots and has suffered attacks by rebels and fires. Perhaps the most famous incident was the 1549 Ketts Rebellion. Robert Kett and his brother led a mob protesting against closures of land in Wymondham: they threw down the fences in the locality and then with growing confidence, marched on Norwich itself. Kett and his followers camped on Mousehold Heath about 2 miles from the City Centre. The Kings army eventually defeated the rebellion and the rebel leaders were hung, Robert Kett was hanged at Norwich Castle.

Despite the damage done to the City during this and other rebellions and heavy bombing during World War II. Norwich has survived the ravages of time so well.
Fortunately the most important historic buildings escaped severe damage during the two World Wars and other incidents that took place from time to time and much historic interest remains within the boundaries of its ancient walls.

And just another little tid bit of information that I personally found fascinating, It is believed that during the Iron Age a tribe of Celts called the Iceni, which was lead by the famous Queen Boudica (died 60 AD) was thought to have been near (within 25 miles) Norwich.  She was an amazing woman who lead her people to rise up against the mighty Roman army and almost defeated them.


Norwich Castle
Norwich Cathedral

Queen Boudica
Statue of Queen Boudica



Well, there you go folks, that is just a little information for you on Norwich. Oh! I did forget to tell you that Norwich is also one of the oldest medieval cities in England  next to London I do believe. Dawn says she has quite a bit planned for us. And knowing her I am sure she does! She shares alot of the same interest as I do. One of them being the paranormal. And being that Norwich has such a history I am sure there is alot of paranormal activity that goes on there. And I am really looking forward to getting out there and investigating some of these places!  I am taking my digital voice recorder along with me, so who knows maybe I will get lucky and capture an evp or two! wouldn't that be great!!!
Well as I sit here we have 187 days to go still. The 187 days is going to by so darn slow, but I am sure that once we get there our 10 days with Dawn and Daryl will go by in the blink of an eye!!!! I cant wait to see her face to face and to be able to just wrap my arms around her and just hug her! She has been there for me thru so much.  She was there with her words of comfort and encouragement thru Mom's illness and subsequent passing. Funny how you can rely so heavily on someone you have never physically met before. But she has been an incredible source of strength for me. Our first night in Norwich is going to be a long night! I am sure that we will be up all night just talking! Laughing, crying and having a Beer or two! Boy our poor husbands might as well just go down to the local pub for dinner and a few beers! hahahah

Well, back to counting the days and researching more of the history of the place we will be going to so I can share it with you all!!


Till the next time! 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's GREAT you're posting some history in where you are and might be going! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I am the storm

  A warrior does not give up.  Her shoulders may bend under the weight of  her struggles. But she will dig her heels in, take a deep breath,...