Monday, February 21, 2011

Loughcrew

OK folks here it is, This is another place on the ever growing list of places we would like to see!

So let me give you a little history of Loughcrew:

Loughcrew Carins also known as "The Hill's of the Witch" are group of Neolithic passage tombs dating to 3000 BC.  They are situated atop a range of hills on the western border of the county Meath.  On one side of the hills are Lakes and lowlands of Cavan, while the other side is bordered  by the Boyne Valley and its rivers.   The Boyne river according to legend is personification of Boinn, the white cow Goddess.

Loughcrew with its more then 30 chambered Carins, contains the highest concentration of ancient sacred architecture in all of Ireland (though Carrowmore covers the largest area).
It is not currently known what were the exact function of the passage cairns. Archaeological excavations have revealed burial remains in only a few of the passage cairns and it is no longer believed that the cairns and great mounds functioned as burial sites. Contemporary scholarship regards the passage cairns more as sacred places associated with life, rebirth and regeneration.   It is also important to consider the solar alignments of the passage ways leading into the cairns. Perhaps, at ritually meaningful times of the year such as the solstices and equinoxes when the light of the sun shown directly along the passage ways, the megalithic people would utilize the cairns as places of ceremony whereby they would co-participate with the earth spirits in the continuing regeneration of life.




Well there you have it folks,  a little history on Loughcrew. I hope you enjoy my little history lessons. 

Here we stand with still 191 days to go. And I find myself looking over my ever growing list of the places we would like to see while we are there.  I am seriously starting to think that its time to go over this list again and downsize it abit! Part of me is actually considering throwing the list out the window all together! I mean IT"S IRELAND!!!  its not a place to be seen on a time schedule.  Ireland should be experienced, not rushed through! So,... who knows, I may do just that, throw that list right out the window and say "Screw it! we will go where ever the road takes us!"  I don't want to come home from this once in a lifetime vacation feeling regret. I want to be able to just get in the car and go, drive thru the beautiful Irish countryside and see where the Gods lead us. Put it in their hands and let them lead us where they will.

Don't get me wrong, I will still have my list of the highlighted places we want to see, and if we get to em, we get to em.  Yes, I do believe that is what we are going to do. Only seems right.  Ireland should be experienced not done. Its not just a random thing on a bucket list. This is not only for me, or for my husband, this is for my parents. This is the dream they never got to fulfill.


Why yes........ I do believe Ireland should be experienced not done.

1 comment:

I am the storm

  A warrior does not give up.  Her shoulders may bend under the weight of  her struggles. But she will dig her heels in, take a deep breath,...